Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Paris Stole My Heart... And My Phone!


Jillian & I at the farewell toga party! I'm gunna miss her!

Me & Alli! She probably re-did my toga ten times haha
All the ladies :)
Alli & I being silly. It was hard to take a grape picture without it being ridiculously seductive.
Andrea & I :)
Me! And a peekaboo from Alli
Fatima & I! I miss her already :(
KELSI CAME TO VISIT ME... and Rome of course!
Gianicolo Hill at sunset -- simply gorgeous.  You could see the entire city; St Peter's is on the right.
The view from the other side! You can easily see the Vittoriano (the big white monument on the right).
Me hammin' it up!
Me, Fatima, Rhyme & Jessica at our first last group dinner before the area studies students left.
Bein' silly at Da Mario -- you can see Mario in the newspaper article behind me!
Feeding Fatima some fettucine dei fiori di zucca :)
Fatima & I :)
We were going to ride off into the sunset together... but IES doesn't allow students to drive while in Rome, bummer.
Some of us out in Trastevere at San Calisto! From left to right: Michelangelo, Luke, Jamie, Fatime, Kelly, Michelle, Jillian, Liza, Me, & half of Ricky
Ricky & Me after many failed attempts (on his part) of taking a decent photo haha
Fountain at Palazzo Altemps, the last museum we visited in my art history class.
PierPaolo, AKA Mr. Rome, was such a fantastic professor; we're going to miss him!
This was likely a marital throne. The larger, front part depicts the birth of Jesus, and the left side depicts a geisha-esque prostitute.
This sculpture was designed in an androgynous nature, to make the viewer question whether the figures were male or female.  The figure on the left has a male body, but with boobs, and the figure on the right has a feminine face.  Weird.
More than any other sculpture this one explains "manipulation" of art better than the rest.  All that remains of the original piece is the torso; the arms, legs, head, and torch were all added to create the Torchbearer statue you see today.
FINALLY sending some postcards at the Vatican Post Office -- but don't get too excited,  I only sent 2... the rest of you lucky folks will get them hand delivered upon my return!
Made it to Paris and immediately had some traditional French cuisine at the restaurant Jillian demanded we try.  This is Andouilette (handmade sausage) avec pommes de terre (roasted potatoes).
Me in front of the Shakespeare & Company bookstore :)
This was where we had our first, delicious French meal! Next door to the Shakespeare & Co. bookstore and with a wonderful view of Notre Dame.
Notre Dame!
The facade.
I decided to break out my old volleyball happy pose and strike it all over Paris for various pictures :)
I thought the headless angel was silly.
I want a gate like this in front of my future Parisian château.
The Sante Chapelle, my new favorite chapel.  It houses the largest collection of intact 13th century stained glass -- GORGEOUS! Unfortunately all my pictures of the inside had been taken with my phone :( Now you'll just have to go see all the incredible stained glass yourself!
Pont Saint Michel :)
Place Saint Michel
This man was making giant bubbles and this little girl was enthralled by them.
Apparently you weren't allowed to bring liquids into the Parade area... If you look closely you can find a nice, unopened bottle of wine. Also, this picture was taken around 7:30AM... classy France.
Some of the military boys bein' silly. They apparently knew a guy in the crowd. Rhyme and Kristin were fans of the one on the right ;)
Okay, France, WHY does a sector of the military need to carry AXES and wear APRONS?! What are they, butchers?
So many French flags :)
Let the Bastille Day Parade -- or as I like to think of it: the "don't fuck with France Parade" (because of the various odd weaponry) begin!
Leading in the President.
President François Hollande!
An air show to kick things off
They flew right over us
I loved the red, white and blue smoke tails. I briefly felt like I was back in America.
Guns!
So many men in uniform, and of course, more guns!
Swords!
...even more swords!
I loved these guys' hats.
...so many swords...
...swords AND guns...
OMG A K-9 UNIT! Too cute :) Oh and notice the guy in the front right of the picture -- next to the guy carrying a gun -- carrying an ice pick, wtf France?!
...guns, guns, guns, and a few swords...
...and back to guns...
...guns with knives on the end...
...so many different kinds of guns...
...oh, back to swords...
...and then guns again...
CAPES?!
Why are these men dressed like they belong in Hogwarts??
All I kept thinking was: I wonder if they are all loaded? Hmmm...
Yeah you work that white flag, France! ;)
The firemen in training ;)
Some firemen from their best angle, carrying axes, of course.
LOTS of firemen!
I took a nice close-up for you, Mama!
The walking portion of the parade finishing up.
And then the mounted portion began!
Lots of tanks
Soldier #1...
#2...
#3...
#4...

#5, the cutest...

#6...
#7...
#8, 9, 10, 11...
#12...
& #13!
Headed to the tower, stopping for every photo op!
Rhyme & I!
The Eiffel Tower! Every time I took a picture like this I felt like I was looking up her "skirt" or something.
The armed tower guards -- I swear this country has an obsession with guns!
Bust of Mr. Eiffel, himself.
The various knies -- and corkscrew, HAH -- that were confiscated before people could enter the tower.
Gorgeous view of the city from the 2nd floor.
& another view...
...and one more!
Me! It was so windy in Paris -- and SO COLD! It literally felt like a Texas winter.
My favorite view :)
Me again :)
So after 3+ hours of waiting in line, about 15ish minutes before we reached the front they closed the top of the tower, so we were only able to go to the 2nd floor; thus my sad face.
I guess this just means I have to go back!
And sadness is cured by a fabulous pain au chocolat, mmmmmm!
All smiles :D
Rhyme multitasking.
The disco ball  hanging from the center.
...and me!
The one semi-decent jumping picture I got.
Voila!
After the fireworks show (pictures were all on my phone, damnit!)
Nous adorons Paris!
J'aime rien. Je suis parisienne. -- I love nothing, I'm Parisian. -- So true.
So pretty
Pont Alexandre III
:) I just love everything here.
Happy Bastille Day!
See Kevin, you'd love France.
Elephant sculpture in front of Musée d'Orsay.
Gorgeous clock at the Musée d'Orsay.
I'm a sneaky photographer :P
La Salle des Fêtes
I could definitely faire la féte here.
The ferris wheel and some terrifying spinning contraption.
Le Jardin Tuileries
Napoleon
You can't escape the EIffel Tower.
I loved all the impressionist paintings.
They were so gorgeous.
Got a sneaky pic of Monet's Nymphéas (Water lilies).
So incredible.
OMG A VIZSLA IN PARIS! -- I literally almost cried. I miss Uffizi!
The central fountain of Le Jardin Tuileries.
Lavender garden outside of le Musée de l'Orangerie; it smelled fabulous.
The fountain.
Walking up the hill in Montmarte to see la Basilique du Sacré Coeur.
Le Sacre Coeur -- simply gorgeous.
Me sitting on the steps at the bottom.
Cheesin'
At the top there is a great view of the city.
Rhyme & I!
Posin'
Kristin & I!
"Wait take one more of me, that looked cute!" -- I don't know how many times I said that...
This guy on the lamp post was a baller. Before climbing up he took his two shirts off without letting the ball fall off his head. Impressive ;)
So cool!
Whaaaa?!
The Pyramid from inside the Carousel Mall.
LADURÉE! My new favorite place. The pistachio macaroons were to die for!
MMMMMM!
And the close 2nd, La Maison du Chocolat -- best chocolate of my life!
The Louvre! -- We finally made it!
The arc in front of the Louvre.
Me at the Louvre!
Couldn't help it...
We had to do a pyramid picture...
Me with my ticket that allowed us to beat the line! I knew buying them in advance was a fabulous idea!
The sculpture in the center of the pyramid.
Us pretty ladies :)
We learned about this sculpture in my art history class. Apparently it was wrongly believed to be a philospher before his death. He had been ordered to kill himself (he slit his wrists), and decided to hasten it by doing so in a warm bath (thus the red marble in the vase); but this was actually just a statue of a fisherman. Art manipulation!
Awesome throne.
The Winged Victory -- la Nike di Samotracia in Italian. We learned about this sculpture in my art history class. I love it.
Interesting.
The Mona Lisa, of course.
The mob in front of the Mona Lisa...
Me with the Winged Victory.
Canova's Amore e Psiche. Gorgeous.
A Michelangelo. We couldn't figure out why he was undressing himself...
Awesome.
The Aphrodite.
Who doesn't love a nice lion?
Rhyme & I in front of the sphinx.
I wish I was good at art. I want to be able to create these masterpieces.
Just bein' classy at the Louvre... I had to squeeze between the wall and this sculpture to take this picture, thus my legs haha.
Lion sculpture -- badass.
Hamurabi Law Code (front).
...and the back.
Napoleon III's apartments.
The study.
Me in Napoleon's study.
The incredible chandelier.
Just wow...
I was awe struck.
What exactly is going on in this sculpture??
Okay Napoleon, what is with the pig fascination?
...seriously?
MMMM La Maison du Chocolat! And the hot salesman is behind me (between my shoulder and my hand).
We loved it! Best chocolate ever!
Me in front of the Opera House. Unfortunately tickets to go inside were all sold out :(
Being ballerinas in front of the Opera.
"Touch me."
The Lafayette Mall that Princess Diana's boyfriend owned.
We got presents for Sara's graduation -- how backwards is that!
I am so getting a Laurel for my graduation -- so much cooler than some silly hat!

No comments:

Post a Comment